Don't Blow out Those Birthday Candles!

-- The classic birthday tradition could do more harm than good!
doot doot

At almost every birthday party, there's gifts, cake, and the most important event; blowing out the candles. However, you may not want to do that. I'm not sure how to tell you this, but . . . okay, here, look at this birthday cake.

Okay, here we go.

Blowing out candles increases cake bacteria by 1,400 percent. Not even kidding. In a study conducted by multiple people, including Clemson University's professor of food safety Paul Dawson, he and his students took a cake, lit the candles, and blew them out multiple times, and then put the icing (mixed with water) into a petri dish. Okay, I kinda lied. The bacteria on the cake was increased on average by 14 percent and I was just copying the article's clickbait title. Even then, it's not as bad as it sounds. Most bacteria are harmless. In Dawson's own words, “In reality if you did this 100,000 times, then the chance of getting sick would probably be very minimal.” So should we stop blowing out birthday candles? No. Unless you're a germaphobe.

   
More posts from DOOT DOOT
READ MORE ...
More posts from SCIENCE
READ MORE ...
YOUR FRIENDS ARE ONILNE!